Sunday, September 30, 2012

Maybe that makes it OK...

David Mitchell writes about the movie of his novel "Cloud Atlas," about which some crabby people have had reservations:

I met the three directors in 2008, and their plan to foreground the novel’s “transmigrating souls” motif by having actors perform multiple roles (each role being a sort of way station on that soul’s karmic journey) struck me as ingenious.  

...

Perhaps where text slides toward ambiguity, film inclines to specificity. A novel contains as many versions of itself as it has readers, whereas a film’s final cut vaporizes every other way it might have been made. Funny thing is, not even the author is immune to this colonization by the moving image. When I try to recall how I imagined my vanity-publisher character, Timothy Cavendish, before the movie, all I see now is Jim Broadbent’s face smiling back, devilishly. Which, as it happens, is fine by me.

1 comment:

David Chute said...

Nice statement of the strengths and differences of the two mediums. Can't we all just get along?