Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A cinematic milestone...

...at least for me.



Does one really have to explain that not all cinematic milestones relate to items of absolute quality? Well, maybe yours do.

Seeing the opening scene of "Bye By Birdie" in 1963, at the turning-point age of 13, caused a light bulb of a certain kind to click on in the depths of my being. "Ah, now I get it," I said to myself. "That's what this is all about. The meaning of life has been revealed."

I've been an acolyte of the Church of A-M ever since.

7 comments:

JRSM said...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! Make it stop! MAKE IT STOP!

David Chute said...

That caustic Australian wit.

Tulkinghorn said...

You have to admit that the charm/beauty to ability ratio is higher than usual.

And what's with the Bird-he....

David Chute said...

I don't "have to admit" anything.

How old are you guys?

Tulkinghorn said...

Old enough to remember Ann-Margaret in Viva Las Vegas, that's for sure.....

Who's that guy on stage with her?

Christian Lindke said...

Anne Margret almost made me swear off of Elvis films. I think one could easily represent, through a linear equation, a strong correlation of the rise of Anne Margret's career and the death of the musical.

To be fair though, it just isn't nice having an Elvis number right after hers. That's an impossible standard to meet.

Also, to be fair, her performance in "Grumpy Old Men" is magnificent and she has in the years post BIRDIE and VIVA demonstrated talent as an actress.

David Chute said...

She always speaks highly of you.

St. Pauine wrote: "Men have a direct action response to Ann-Margret. They want to give her what she seems to be asking for."

Operative word men.