Sunday, May 13, 2012

"Black Wings" and Black Lizard

The incessant buzz around upcoming films can indeed be irritating, and to some of us more than others. But this report led me to information about a possibly great vintage (not Vintage, or at least not yet) noir novel that was completely unknown to me. And yet, no less an authority than Black Lizard founding guru Ed Gorman is willing to entertain the possibility that the "flawless" "Black Wings Has My Angel," by Elliot Chaze, is "the single best novel Gold Medal published during its heyday." Elsewhere, Bill Pronzini offers a picture of Chaze and says he wrote three other books that are almost as good. Marching orders, if I ever heard any.

3 comments:

JRSM said...

It is good--and, helpfully, fell out of copyright, meaning you can download the text free here: http://www.munseys.com/book/19480/Black_Wings_Has_My_Angel

Tulkinghorn said...

On it.

For cheapskates: There's a Kindle edition for less than a dollar:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Wings-Has-Angel-ebook/dp/B004I1KMQ4/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

Must be PD.....

David Chute said...

Apparently it is PD, which is why Hard Case hasn't published it.