Tuesday, May 31, 2011

"I'll tell you one thing I learned about movies?"

Samaritan (Richard Price)

- Highlight Loc. 3224-42 | Added on Tuesday, May 31, 2011, 10:52 AM

“You don’t want to get deeper into TV work yourself?”

“As what, a seasoned receptionist?” Danielle said with a twist of the lips. “Well, actually what I do is more interesting than it sounds. Like, three days after I got hired, OK? My boss Krauss, he buzzes me, says to come into his office, bring a notepad. I go in, he’s auditioning this actor for some movie, like a disease movie, a virus movie, or some such. I go in, he points to a chair in back, says, ‘Take notes.’ And I’m thinking, ‘On what?’ “So, the guy reads his lines with an actress, the audition lasts maybe ten minutes, Krauss gets up, says, ‘That was wonderful. We’ll call,’ the guy leaves, the actress leaves, it’s me, Krauss and this other producer, Krauss looks to me, says, ‘So what you think?’ I’m like, ‘About what . . . ?’ Krauss says, ‘Would you fuck him?’” lowering her voice on the f-word. “And I’m, in my mind, I’m, ‘How dare you.’ I mean I was shaking I was so insulted, but scared too, because I needed that job. But all I say is, ‘I don’t know. Would you?’ “And at first he’s like, his face is, ‘Who the hell are you to . . .’ But the other guy starts laughing like, ‘Hey, good one, Hal,’ and I guess that broke the tension. He never actually apologized to me but he’s been kind of, I don’t know, tasteful about things ever since.”

“Tasteful.”

“I mean he still calls me in every time he’s auditioning actors, you know, ‘Take notes,’ but after they leave, all he says to me is, ‘So what do you think?’ and all I give him is thumbs up, thumbs down. But I’ll tell you one thing I learned about movies? It all boils down to ‘Would you fuck him, would you fuck her.’ Everything flows out of that.”

“Understanding what you just said?” Ray aching for her. “That’s a six-figure salary right there.”

==========

5 comments:

Tulkinghorn said...

Think that's true? Hard to build an aesthetic out of that....

David Chute said...

More a commercial rule of thumb, I think. Impossible to be too cynical, IOW.

Tulkinghorn said...

Price is biting the hand... He's had a fabulous television career and a pretty good run in the movies.

Sounds like sub-Leonard anti-Hollywood New Yorker snobbery to me.

Tulkinghorn said...

Of course, I could be just misunderstanding you here -- After two weeks in Providence, Portland, and Boston, you might just be giving your notice to the West Coast and all it represents... Back to the land of green things and natural fibers.....

David Chute said...

Not really. I just thought it was funny.