Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Davies sifu Part 3

Realized that clip was too tiny to read and...clipped it.

I'm keeping the Davies book at my bedside like a family Bible. The key to its impact is its underlying (scary) honesty about the day-to-day realities of the writing process. I can't imagine any writer, in any medium, failing to recognize the groping, day-dreamy, chaotic mental "soup" Davies describes himself swimming in, with usable ideas occassionally bobbing to the surface like...well, never mind. (Readers who don't write may feel there's too much information for comfort here about what gets packed into the sausage.) Reading this stuff makes me feel better about what an awkward fit I am in my increasingly corporatized & cubicle-filled workplace -- though it would probably be a good idea to stay alert and not act too "creative." No future in that.

UPDATE: "Christmas with my blind dad. I sit and describe to him what's happening on TV. 'The Host have hooked arms with the Doctor and they're flying him up, up, up through the ship...' I have a laugh doing that. I make things up. 'They're on fire!' There's no budget when you're blind."

1 comment:

Adam Thornton said...

I'm glad you're getting so much out of the book...it was full of revelation for me as well, and also entertaining as an added bonus!

The only time I grew bored with it were the long stretches of scripts near the end. Probably inevitable considering the chronology, but they seemed densely packed in the last few chapters.