Thursday, March 4, 2010

Green Zone: early warning

From Kyle Smith:

I can’t believe what I just saw, so I’ll think about it some more before I go into detail. But if I were the kind of excitable guy who believes in boycotts, I’d say “Boycott NBC-Universal” for its appalling new anti-American flick “Green Zone,” an absurdly awful would-be actioner that stars Matt Damon as a US warrant officer in 2003 Baghdad. ..... a $100 million war film in which American troops are the bad guys. There are moments that we’re supposed to cheer because our soldiers are getting shot down- but it’s okay because they’re evildoers at worst or stooges at best .....

UPDATE: I've been asked to give Smith's bona fides so that those who don't follow these things can figure out whether he's just another knee jerk right-winger. He's a staff film critic for the New York Post, a sometime writer of humorous novels, and a Persian War veteran. Although he's pretty reliably right of center, he's no patsy for the easy controversy, as far as I can tell.

At any rate, if this movie becomes an issue, then he's a bellwether... If it doesn't than he's a thin skinned vet with a hard-on for denouncing Hollywood bluster. I have my guess.

No comments: