Thursday, September 30, 2010

The most baffling propaganda campaign in history

Written by Richard Curtis. Just watch it. No pressure. (The final scene is especially fine.... the one at the very end, after the tag)



UPDATE:

Strange behavior:

The creators have made the video private -- which is a shame, since although I find it probably the worst effort ever to gain public support for something, (and although I'm on the other side of the argument) I admire their spirit and their willingness (in fact, desire) to offend.

Mr. Curtis: Bring down that wall!

SPOILER ALERT:

Sez the Guardian:

"Doing nothing about climate change is still a fairly common affliction, even in this day and age. What to do with those people, who are together threatening everybody's existence on this planet? Clearly we don't really think they should be blown up, that's just a joke for the mini-movie, but maybe a little amputating would be a good place to start?" jokes 10:10 founder and Age of Stupid film maker Franny Armstrong.

But why take such a risk of upsetting or alienating people, I ask her: "Because we have got about four years to stabilise global emissions and we are not anywhere near doing that. All our lives are at threat and if that's not worth jumping up and down about, I don't know what is."

"We 'killed' five people to make No Pressure – a mere blip compared to the 300,000 real people who now die each year from climate change," she adds.

Jamie Glover, the child-actor who plays the part of Philip and gets blown up, has similarly few qualms: "I was very happy to get blown up to save the world."

2 comments:

Tulkinghorn said...

There are readers of this blog who may be troubled by my re-publishing, without examination, the claim that 300,000 people die every year as the result of climate change.

There's not enough time in the world for me to describe my reactions to such an assertion. But I like my friends and blogosphere colleagues too much to begin.

David Chute said...

From here, to TOH, to this: http://nofrakkingconsensus.wordpress.com/2010/09/30/blood-gore-against-global-warming/